Is laser hair removal more painful than waxing?
On our article "How to Remove Pubic Hair at Home" has mention remove pubic hair by waxing and by laser which one is better? So here we will compare waxing and laser hair removal which one is more painful?
Is laser hair removal more painful than waxing? The answer is no. Many people consider whether to choose laser hair removal or waxing because both of them have a different price and painful. As we know waxing is the most painful hair removal methods in the world. They are more like you’re holding multiple hairs then you pull them out of their roots… Can you imagine? Now laser technology has become more and more popular, so there is a question for most ladies: is laser hair removal more painful than waxing?
First, we'd better know the difference between laser and waxing hair removal.
Laser hair removal: A medical procedure that uses a concentrated beam of light (laser) to remove unwanted hair.
A laser beam i.e. a targeted beam of light is projected at the hair follicles. because when the laser beam passes through the skin, it's reborn to heat, the heat is picked up by animal pigment within the hair follicles. The heat damages the follicles and retards any hair growth. This suggests that higher the density of hair and thicker the follicle, additional the warmth absorbed and thence, a proportional increase within the pain. it's necessary to notice that the hair follicles are still preserved among the skin.
Waxing hair removal: Waxing is the process of hair removal from the root by using a covering of a sticky substance, such as wax, to adhere to body hair, and then removing this covering and pulling out the hair from the follicle. New hair will not grow back in the previously waxed area for four to six weeks, although some people will start to see regrowth in only a week due to some of their hair being on a different human hair growth cycle. (Introduction from Wiki)
A hot/cold layer of wax is dirty on the hair and also the skin. A waxing strip/cloth is employed to tug the wax, alongside the hair and possibly a skinny layer of skin off, this suggests the hair follicles are actually forced out of the skin. The density of hair and its thickness matter here also.
So what's the painful difference between laser and waxing, here are some fact experiences from Quora user:
- I often bleed while getting waxed and I never bled during a laser hair removal session.
- My skin is always erythematous and tender after the waxing session. This is not the case with laser hair removal because the skin doesn’t really get irritated.
- The soreness continues for about 24 hours post waxing (my skin is really sensitive). The soreness improves almost immediately post laser hair removal. Staying out of the sun helps as well.
- Laser treatment was a lot more tolerable compared to waxing on the areas of the body that have thinner skin. For example, the elbow crease or the upper arm. These areas are in general more sensitive to pain.
- During the laser sessions, the therapist progressively increases the intensity of the laser beam. This gives one time to get used to the sensation.
- Also, as the hair thickness and the number of hair follicles reduce, the energy absorbed is less. This reduces the pain gradually as the therapy progresses.
- This is not the case in waxing. It hurts pretty much the same from one session to the other.
- Laser hair removal pain can be described as the sensation one feels upon getting a static shock in winters. It stings but only for a moment. The pain of waxing is a lot worse.
- Laser hair removal is more comfortable and effective. It gives you up to 3 months of hair-free skin after 7 treatments once every 2 weeks. Moreover, the side effects of lasers are not that serious. They may include redness, itching, and swellings around the hair follicle. But, these side effects rarely last more than 2–3 days.
So, in our opinion, laser hair removal is less painful and a lot more tolerable. It is expensive but it is worth the investment. And now you can do a laser hair removal at home by yourself, there is an IPL laser hair removal device or at home laser hair removal on Lukelady, this device will help you save much money.