How to steam your face at home?
In our previous article “How to clean your face at home?” has mentioned a very important step is Steam Your Face at step 5, facial steam applications give you multiple skin health and beauty benefits. What does steaming your face do? Regularly applying warm steam to the face is a truly beneficial beauty treatment available to anyone, and we have list "14 Benefits of Steaming Face". Here we will provide a guide about how to steam your face at home! There are many ways for steam your face at home and we found a very easy, detail and effective guide which from Wikihow for you! When you read this guide, you’d better read our “How to clean your face at home?” guide first, it will tell what should you do or notice when you clean your face.
Step 1. Bring a small pot of water to a boil. A basic steam involves nothing but water and your skin. It doesn't require much water. Fill up a small pot with 1 - 2 cups of water and bring it to a full boil
Step 2. Wash your face. While the water is heating up, wash your face using a gentle cleanser（Lukewarm water will provide the best results when you are washing your face, avoid use cold or hot water）. Be sure to remove all of your makeup and any dirt, oil or sweat that's sitting on the surface of your skin. It's important that your skin be clean when you steam it. Your pores will open wide, and if you have dirt or makeup on your skin, it could cause irritation.
- Don't wash your face with an exfoliating scrub or harsh soap. Before steam, it's best to wash with a very mild cleanser, to reduce the chance that the steam treatment will further irritate your skin.
- Pat your face dry with a soft towel.
Step 3. Pour the steaming water into a bowl. If you're doing the steam treatment as part of an at-home spa treatment, pour it into a big, pretty ceramic or glass bowl. If you just want quick steam, you can leave it in the pot. Place whatever vessel you're using on a few folded towels on top of a table.
- Don't pour the water into a plastic bowl. You don't want small plastic molecules getting involved in your facial steam.
- Be very careful that you do not burn yourself! If you decide to leave the water in the pot, then make sure to remove it from the heat source before using it.
Step 4. Add essential oils or herbs. Now's the time to add essential oils or herbs to the water to make the treatment a little special. If you add oils or herbs, the steam treatment will double as an aromatherapy session, so it will be a 2-in-1 treatment. Just a few drops of essential oils goes a long way.
- Be sure to add any extras after you've taken the water off the boil. Otherwise, the scents will quickly evaporate.
- If you don't have any special oils or herbs, try the tea! Put a few herbal tea bags in the water. Chamomile, mint, and chai all make excellent steam.
Step 5. Steam your face with a towel over your head. Drape the towel over your head so that it drops down on either side of your face, trapping the steam so that it concentrates near your skin. Place your face close enough to the steaming water to feel it massaging your face, but not so close that your skin feels like it's burning or you're having trouble breathing fresh air.
- Typical steam lasts about 10 minutes, so you may want to sit down while you do the treatment. However, keep in mind that you can receive many of the same benefits if you stop after 5 minutes.
- Don't steam your face for much longer than 10 minutes, especially if you have acne or other skin issues. Steaming causes the face to swell, and it can exacerbate acne if done for too much time.
What to Do after Steaming Your Face?
Step 6. Put on a Face Mask. Steaming your face leaves your pores wide open. This is the best time to try and draw out as much dirt and impurities as possible. Using a clay mask just after the steam treatment is the best way to achieve this. Apply the mask on your face and let it sit for about 10-15 minutes. Use warm water to wash it off. If you don’t have a clay mask, substitute with plain honey or a mixture of oatmeal and honey. In case you’re not interested in doing the mask, simply wash your face with warm water after you’re done with the streaming session.
- You can purchase a clay mask in the beauty section of your grocery store, drug store, or large store.
- If you don't have a clay mask, use plain honey or a combination of honey and oatmeal.
- If you choose not to use a mask, you can simply wash your face with warm water after the steam treatment.
- Don't use a strong exfoliant on your skin after steaming, especially if you have acne. Since your face will be slightly swollen and your pores will be open, scrubbing it could cause it to become inflamed.
Step 7. Tone your face skin. Once you’ve rinsed the face mask away, use a toner to help close your pores. Use a cotton ball to apply it to your face with gentle strokes. You don’t have to buy toner. You can use lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. Mix a tablespoon of either of them with a cup of water and you will be good to go.
Step 8. Moisturize your face. Steam and heat cause the skin to dry out, so it's important to follow your treatment with a good moisturizer. Use one made with soothing oils, aloe and butter that will prevent your skin from getting too dry. Let the moisturizer completely absorb into your skin before applying makeup.
Maybe you will feel these guides are very troubled and uncomfortable (You need to keep your face down for 5-10 minutes), and you can't control the temperature of the water very well, the temperature of the water will continue to decrease over time. So you can try to buy a facial steamer which can easy to solve these problems.
How often should you steam your face?
Many people ask me how often should I steam my face. The answer is you should steam your face no more than once a week. If your pores are particularly clogged, you can steam your face twice a week until your condition improves. Steaming your face too often can actually lead to more breakouts.
How long should you steam your face?
Typical steam lasts about 10 minutes(no more than it), and you can receive many of the same benefits if you stop after 5 minutes.